Monday, February 9, 2009

Parents too busy for their children?

Hey,

I started reading my book and I was so into the events that took place.When I first started reading it took me right in because it started right when the car acciident took place.I was surprised,the accident happen so fast.They were just coming from the game,the four boys.He died,Rob died.
Back in school the boys saw others sad or even upset over the accident.Especially Andy,he had support from his basketball couch and now his therapist.His parents are to busy for him.He deels with the pain.
I am now waiting to finish the book and found out more.

P.S Untill next time PEACE.

Sincerly,
Abrielle

10 comments:

  1. Hey Abrielle! my name's Alyssa and i'm a Geneseo student. i was surprised how fast the accident was too. i thought it was kinda cool though, like the author didn't waste any time you know? like the accident was as sudden and unexpected to the characters in the book as it was to us. i was wondering if maybe you thought that andy's parents weren't too busy for him, but just didn't know what to say to him? one of my best friends died in a car accident last January and my mom wasn't sure how to deal with it either. i mean, nothing anyone says at first can change that fact that your friend just isn't coming back, you know? it's as hard for the parents too.

    Do you think his parents will get better at talking to him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Abrielle, my name is Christina and I am also a student at Geneseo. I agree that sometimes it does feel like parents aren't there to help you. I know being a teenager it gets really hard because even when you do want your parents to help you, they just dont know how to relate. They are in a completely different world than us and I guess I can see how it would be hard for them to help us from their perspective as well.

    I hope his parents get better at talking to him, but I feel that in time he will be able to deal with what has happened. Hopefully his friends will help him with that, it seems as though at least his coach was trying.

    Do you ever feel like even if your parents tried to relate to you and help you that they couldn't because you are so different from them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,
    My name's Chelsea and I'm in Dr. Urso's class at Geneseo.

    When you wrote that the guys got back to school and everyone was crying, even if they didn’t know Robbie, do you think they were mad at the students? I know I felt that way once.

    My junior year, there was a group of kids from my high school out having a bit of fun, they took up two cars. The first car was brand new, for the driver’s birthday, and the turn came up on them too fast. They rolled down the ditch, and two of the students died instantly, one died from the injuries later. It was terrible. The girl that died had her twin in the next car. I didn’t know them personally, so I felt that it wasn’t my right to cry about it, that what I needed to do was support those who did know them. I felt angry at the girls who cried and never knew them because it seemed to me that they were just trying to get attention.

    Rhonda’s description on page 19 was just like at my high school. The news people seemed like they were leeches or something, feeding off the pain of the students. But she made another point on page 31, that “you kinda figure if you’re seventeen, you’ll live forever.” And I guess I understand now that that may be what made those girls upset: they realized their mortality (that they could die unexpectedly). I think Rhonda's my favorite character, she has a lot of insight.

    Did you or anybody else notice what’s going on with Gerald? It seems like he’s dealing with a lot, and more than just his friend’s death. I’m just curious because it seems like everyone’s concerned with Andy and Gerald’s going unnoticed.
    ~ Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey i read the book to and in da 7-8 chapters,but i dont know what page im on so next time will be better

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes i really do think that parents are to busy for thier children. i also think that they should make time for them and family to be together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that if parents weren't so busy and they were sometimes at least 1 times a week with there son/daughter that our society would not have so many kids on the streets at 11 oclock they could be in a warm and safe enviroment with the parents

    Antwuan-J-Strozier

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi my name is zakiya and I started to read my book and i asked my mom and step dad if they want me to summerize wat I have read at the Saturday program but they said no they don't have time to hear it.I think that I couldn't handle my parents not listing to me well because my parents never really time for me anymore like they use to.We could all handle this problem different but we should always try to explain what we learned.
    ~Zakiya~

    ReplyDelete
  8. zakiya,

    i know how frustrating it can be to feel like your parents are too
    busy for you. but most likely, they don't realize that you just want
    to spend time with them and talk. maybe they don't understand how
    much it can comfort you for them to just take a few minutes to talk
    to you about what's going on in your life, even if it's not as
    intense as what happens in the book...

    i think if andy told his parents that he was having a really rough
    time dealing with his friend's death and wanted to talk to them about
    it, they would have made time to discuss it with him. maybe if you
    explain to your parents that you'd really like to share what you do
    in the saturday program with them, they'll find time to talk to you
    about it.

    -nicole m.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HEY!!!
    I'm a student at Geneseo and sometimes i feel that my parents are too busy for me. Since i got older i feel my parents make more time for me. I feel bad for Andy, especially when it was mentioned that his parents never went to any of his basketball games. I think Andy is not like any of his parents so he can't talk to them or confide in them but i also feel that he is closer to his coach than his parents. Can you relate to andy? What page you guys up to??? I'm almost done.... the book is a lot better than my homework lol. Have a good weekend!! :)
    KELLY

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Antwuan,
    I agree that if parents spent more time with their kids that less of them would end up on the street. do you think kids do this to find some attention that they arent getting from home? is there anywhere else that you think someone could go for support then the streets? Andy had the people at school to help him, he had his coach and his friends which is lucky. Do you think andy wouldve dealt with this better if his parents were there for him?

    just wondering what you think
    ~anne

    ReplyDelete